If you’re like me, at some point you’ve probably found yourself with a can of food that needs opening and no modern can opener to be found. Fear not, intrepid explorer, for there is still a way to open your can without resorting to the blunt edge of a knife or the feeble pincers of pliers. It’s time to break out your old-fashioned can opener!
This trusty little tool has been around since who knows when, and it still holds up today as an easy and efficient way to open cans. The best part is, there’s no need for batteries or power cords – it runs entirely off human muscle power!
In this article, I’ll show you how to use your old fashioned can opener so you’ll never be left high and dry in the middle of a hungry night again. Let’s get started!
Different types of can openers
There are many different types of can openers on the market, and each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Can openers come in a variety of sizes and shapes , so it is important to choose one that will fit your needs. Some can openers are designed for specific types of cans, such as those with pop-top lids or aluminum cans.
1. Hand held opener
The most common type is the hand–held can opener, which is small and portable. However, this type of opener can be difficult to use, and it can often leave sharp edges on the can.
2. Electric can opener
Another popular option is the electric can opener, which is much easier to use but requires batteries or an electrical outlet.
3. Manual can opener
For those who are looking for a more environmentally friendly option, there are also manual can openers that do not require any electricity.
4. Universal openers
Others are more universal and can be used on any type of can. These openers are usually larger and more expensive, but they are also much more durable.
How many types of can openers are there?
The most basic type is the handheld can opener, which consists of a simple blade that is inserted into the top of the can. This type of opener is easy to use and relatively inexpensive, but it can be difficult to open larger cans with this type of opener.
A electric can opener is another option that many people prefer. This type of opener is powered by batteries or an AC adapter, and it has a cutting blade that quickly opens cans. Electric can openers are generally more expensive than hand-held models, but they are much easier to use. In addition, some electric can openers come with additional features, such as knife sharpeners and jar openers.
Finally, there are also automatic can openers that are designed to open cans with the push of a button. These types of openers are the most expensive, but they are also the most convenient to use especially when preparing veggie meals and you need those canned veggies pronto.
How to use a butterfly can opener
Using a butterfly can opener is simple, once you get the hang of it. Start by inserting the blade into the top of the can, making sure that the serrated edge is facing in. Then, twist the can opener handle to rotate the blade around the circumference of the can.
Continue twisting until the blade has made a complete revolution. At this point, you should be able to lift off the top of the can. If necessary, use a knife to remove any sharp edges from the circumference of the open can. Now you’re ready to enjoy your delicious food!
How to use a can opener with two wheels
- Look for a can opener that is made of metal. These are the best type of can openers as they will not rust and will last a long time. If you cannot find a metal can opener, look for one that is made of plastic. These can openers will also last a long time, but they may rust over time.
- Make sure that the can opener is clean before using it. You don’t want to contaminate the food inside the can with bacteria from the can opener. Then get the can opener in a proper positioned on the top of the can. The blade should be lined up with the lip of the can.
- Next, insert the blade of the can opener into the can. Apply pressure and twist the handle to start cutting into the lid of the can.
- As you cut around the circumference of the lid, keep the can opener steady and apply even pressure. Try not to push too hard or you may risk breaking the blade.
- Once you’ve cut all the way around the lid, carefully remove it from the can. Be careful not to cut yourself on any sharp edges.
- Now you’re ready to enjoy your canned food! Just remember to wash your hands afterwards and put away your can opener so it’s ready for next time.
Wrapping up: How To Use Old Fashioned Can Opener
They say that food is the most important thing in life, and it’s true. Canned foods can be a great way to get nutrients without having fresh produce from your garden or farm stand nearby! For example I need tomatoes for the one-pot spaghetti bolognaise I am preparing right now and I don’t have fresh tomatoes.
My canned goods have saved me so many times when I am in a pinch with ingredients that is why a good can opener is an essential in my house.
Now that you know how to use an old fashioned can opener, there’s no excuse not to get in the kitchen and whip up something delicious. And if you need any more convincing, just remember: with great can opening skills comes great responsibility.
So go forth and open cans like a pro!
Charlene is a lover of good food. She enjoys nothing more than cooking up a storm in the kitchen and sharing her favourite recipes with her readers. She also enjoys reading a good book.